Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Atmospheric Pressure Science Lesson.

Well all this week and last week I have been learning about the atmosphere around us. It is all a bit confusing at times. Well almost all the time until I study it more. But I would like to tell you about atmospheric pressure.

Last week I did an experiment with two emty pop cans. I filled the pop cans with a little bit of water. (Until the bottom of the can was coverd) Next I put the can on a little frying pan and let the water boil. Once the water was boiling I let it boil for acouple of minutes. When I let it boil for a little bit it got most of the air out. Then I had two bowls full of ice water. Using a pair of tongs I put one of the cans in upright and one of the cans in upside down. The first one just floated around and the second one popped! (It scared my mom and I) The reason the firt can floated was because,when it got put in upright it filled with air pushing against all the atmospheric pressure around the outside of it. The second can on the other hand was crumpled because, it got put in upside down in the ice water which made it did not fill with air. So the atmospheris pressure pushed on the can from the outside which made that can crumple because there was no air inside the can to push against the pressure outside the can.

That is all for now. Maybe next time I can tell you all about the atmosphere. (or maybe you would like to know about some algeabre!)

1 comment:

  1. Laura, We are fascinated with your experiment...soon you will be able to predict the weather just by looking at a barometer...maybe someday you will become as good a meteorologist as me. :)

    Love you.
    Grandpa

    ReplyDelete