Friday, June 18, 2010

Days Twenty-eight thru Thirty – Tennis shoes

This has been a week of jeans and tennis shoes; it’s been a busy week!  It’s Vacation Bible School week at our church and I’ve been taking care of a two-year-old all week.  This is Jonas:

jonas-2

He’s Pastor Bryan and Laura’s youngest.  He’s been my little buddy this week. We’ve had lots of fun playing with dinosaurs, stickers, Bendaroos and going to the park.

If you’re a mom, like me, you probably spend a lot of time in jeans and tennis shoes. But, that’s no excuse for frumpiness! If you’ve spent any time with me at all you know my mantra is, “Do the best you can with what you have.”  And moms, I’m telling you right now, your “best” is NOT “mom jeans” and your white New Balance tennis shoes.  If you are guilty of this fashion sin, throw them in the garbage right now. And if you don’t know what “mom jeans” are, you’re probably wearing them. Hey, my 60-something mom is totally stylin’ in her cute bootcut jeans and mary jane tennis shoes, so you can do it too!

Trust me,  you can be cute, fashionable and still comfortable.  Some hints on jeans shopping.  For those of you in a traditional women’s size try starting at the Gap or American Eagle. Those are my two favorite places.  Gap jeans are my personal favorite, but that’s just the way my body is shaped. You will probably have to try on 30-40 pairs of jeans before you find the that pair that makes you say “Ah-ha!” When you do, buy 3 or 4 pairs! My favorites are Gap Long and Lean in a Tall (cuz I’m short but have a 34 inch inseam), and Gap Curvy Bootcut Jeans. I love that Gap makes jeans for us girls who are actually shaped like a woman, not a toothpick.  Also, try Lee jeans at Kohl’s.  They come in all sizes including Plus size and have some great jeans for women, including jeans with secret “squishy” panels. (not a technical term) The Lee jeans are cut for a woman’s body as well and although “low” rise, will not gape as they are higher in the back and lower in the front. I promise, no one will see your undies!  Take your teenage daughter or friend along to give your jeans the seal of approval!

As far as tennis shoes are concerned, be cute! There are lots of fun styles out there.  You could get a low-profile “running” shoe:

shoes-1-22

Or a fun pair of chunky tennis shoes (another cast off from Laura’s growth spurt):

shoes-4

Or any number of fun slip-on tennies:

shoes-3-1

shoes-2-4

Of course the ultimate in cool is a pair of Chuck Taylor’s which I don’t have, but hey, my birthday is right around the corner! And shoes are ALWAYS a great present. hint, hint. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment