Monday, June 7, 2010

Day Twenty-One - Keens (the Cadillac of Hiking Shoes)




So, what do you wear on your feet when you go hiking?  Tennis shoes? Rookie.  Tevas?  I guess that's ok if you don't mind coming back with your big toe all mangled and bloody. Merrill's? It's ok, but you haven't reached true hiking Nirvana yet.  Those of us who own a pair of Keens know the secret: Keens rock!

I've noticed that Coloradins tend to love their Merrill's, but those of us in the upper Midwest stick tightly to our Keens. Probably because when we hike we go in and out of a lot of water when we hike.  When hiking over boulders, pebbles and through streams, you need traction, toe protection, a shoe that can stand up to water, and also let the water and pebbles drain out.  A pair of Keens are perfect for that! Plus, they are super comfortable and offer great support.

Recently Keen redesigned their women's shoes to make them narrower. I think I've mentioned before that I have narrow feet, so I'm doing my best to wear my Keen's out so I can have a new pair. Problem is, Keens are like the Toyota of shoes. They are durable! And I guess at $90 a pop that's a good thing. Love my Keens! The weather's perfect, let's go on a hike!

No comments:

Post a Comment