Monday, September 6, 2010

We Are His Story

"We are His story, we are His song

A beautiful melody to show the world His love.

When we’re on this journey, when we’re on this road

We are a part of the greatest story ever told.”

-Addison Road

Just the other night we sat around the campfire with another family, some good friends of ours, and we talked about showing Jesus through the way we live our lives to others around us.

St. Francis of Assisi most famously said it, “Preach the Gospel at all times, and when necessary use words.”

We challenged our kids to show God’s love to their friends and neighbors as well, which is not always an easy thing for children to do! Other kids can laugh at them and call them weirdoes!

Today as I was standing at my kitchen sink snapping beans I watched Nate and Daniel take a new friend back into the woods to show him their fort. About the time the big kids all came out of the woods and took off on their bikes, the friend’s 5-year-old brother came riding up. From the body language I could tell what was going on. He wanted to see the fort too, and he just couldn’t quite keep up with the bigger kids. His face melted and he put his head down on his bike’s handle bars and started to cry. I watched for about a minute and then I saw Nate come back.

Yes!

Nate talked to him for awhile and then took him back to the fort and showed him around and then waited for him to catch up on his bike and away they went. All told, it took Nate maybe an extra minute or two, but I know it meant a lot to this little boy.

I just happened to be listening to the Addison Road song I wrote at the top of my blog at the exact same time Nate did this. Wow, talk about making a mom proud and putting tears in my eyes!

God, give me faith like a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment