Friday, December 24, 2010

Dr. Molly’s Advice Column

Although my blog is sometimes serious and sometimes completely silly, never let it be said that it’s not useful!

I’ve been a mom for nearly 15 years now, but no matter how “experienced” I’ve become, one of my least favorite sounds is that horrible, barking cough when of my children is struggling to breathe with croup in the middle of the night.  For some reason, my kids deal with croup more than average kids. I’ve probably dealt with it 50-60 times in the course of my mommyhood. So, for those “newbies”, here’s some advice I’ve gleaned from doctors and personal experience over the years. All of it unofficial of course, so take it or leave it. But, it’s worked for me!

Last night, my 8 year old, Daniel, woke me up sounding like a seal. Croup is obvious. Your child will be struggling to breathe and sound exactly like a sea lion. “Arf, Arf, Arf!” It’s an awful sound. If you’ve heard it, you’ll know what I mean. If you don’t hear it, it’s not croup. Their chests may even cave in a little as they struggle for air. It’s scary for them and for you. After all, it happens in the middle of the night, when we’re not thinking clearly. But, don’t panic. You rarely need to take them in for it.

First, try to help them not to cry; that makes it worse. This is always a hard one with Daniel. He panics and freaks. This is when it’s important for Mom to stay calm. Take them into a the bathroom, shut the door and turn the shower on as hot as it goes. Sit with them in the steam and encourage them to take deep breaths. After 10 minutes or so, take them outside into the cold air; the colder the better. Ask them to take DEEEP breaths of the cold air. The first time my doctor told me this I thought he was nuts! But, the cold air helps open the airways and often when parents take their kids to the ER, this is when the croup clears up, as they take their kids out into the night air. Then back into the steam, then the cold, back and forth until they are breathing easier.

Sleeping with a humidifier helps until the croup is completely gone. Of course, if after an hour or so, they still are completely struggling or, if they are turning blue, take them to the ER. I spent a few days in an oxygen tent with croup when I was little. But, generally, croup, while it’s scary and exhausting, can be taken care of at home.

And hang in there Mom, as they grow and their airways get bigger, they’ll quit getting it. Of course, if you space your kids out like I did, you may deal with it for 15 years, but this too shall pass. Hug your babies and remind yourself that someday you’ll miss even this.

Love,

Dr. Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment