Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Christmas in Perspective

Christmas in America tends to get a little out of hand. Our trees often look like they are puking gifts. Our children get ridiculously focused on what Santa is bringing them and pout when they don’t get the latest and greatest toys. People get cranky when the lines at the mall are too long. We spend way too much money on stuff no one really needs anyway. Old grudges and family feuds are aired over the ham and turkey and pumpkin pie. We stress about getting those cards mailed “in time”, whatever that is. Ahhh, Christmas.

This morning my perspective on Christmas changed drastically. My neighbor called me, weeping, to tell me that two of his young grandchildren had been killed in a car accident just this morning and the third, along with their son, was critically injured.

What do you say in response to something so horrific? As I got off the phone with tears in my own eyes, I gathered my children around me, prayed for the family and said, “Wow, that just puts everything in perspective doesn’t it?”

I guess all I have to say is this: Life is short and uncertain. Our days are not under our control, but in God’s hands. Make the most of every moment this Christmas. Hug your babies. Tell your parents you love them. Forgive the people you are mad at. Let go of the grudges.  Say the things you’ve been putting off. Give the gift of yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment