Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Little Moments of Honesty

I think we’ve all heard the quote, “Character is who you are when no one is watching.” That succinct little statement is oh-so-true.  I find the hardest tests of character come, not in the big things, though, but the little things.

Today I went to the bank to cash a $10 check. I waited in my van at the drive-thru window and then my envelope came back.  I looked inside to find 5 $20 bills.  Whenever I am faced with a situation like this, I have to admit it always flashes momentarily through my mind to drive/walk/run away. But, I never can.  I sent it back inside and said, “I’m pretty sure that was a $10 check, not $100.” I did get a tiny Reese’s peanut butter cup for my honesty.  ☺ I’ve faced several of these circumstances, and I’m sure you have too. You get out to the grocery store parking lot and you realize your milk is still on the bottom of the cart and you never paid for it. Or, even worse, you get home and find something in your bag that you never paid for or were under charged for. What to do then?  It’s so easy to rationalize at that moment, I know it is for me! It’s a big store, they figure these kinds of things into their business plan. I’m not driving all the way back, etc. etc. But, for me anyway, my conscience always bugs me until I take care of it.

In Luke 16:10 Jesus says, “ “He who is faithful in a very little thing is faithful also in much; and he who is unrighteous in a very little thing is unrighteous also in much.””

These small moments of honesty, or dishonesty, as the case may be, are defining moments in our lives. They may seem small, but they add up to big consequences.  It’s easy to let something small slide, but then it gets easier the next time and the next time, until before we know it our consciences are seared and we are so far from where we thought we could ever be. This principle is true in all areas of sin and unrighteousness. It’s very rare that someone takes an enormous jump from walking the right path to a huge sin. Usually there are little, unseen thought patterns and “small” sins along the way, that make it easier for us to contemplate a much larger sin.

In my own life I am constantly have to realign myself with God’s Word, with the Truth.  I have to check and see if I am letting small things slide, because so often I am! Those small things are what make up my character, who I really am on the inside. I always find it interesting when I watch a reality TV show and when they do the exit interview and the cast member sees themself in all their ugly, gritty reality, they’ll almost always say something like, “That’s not really me. They painted a picture of me that’s not true. If you really knew me, you’d know that’s not me.” That always makes me laugh, because those cameras are on, 24/7, literally catching those small moments when supposedly “no one is watching.” So I always want to say, “Yeah, honey, sorry, but that IS you!” I think a reality show of my life would be incredibly painful to watch. I’m so grateful that God gives fresh grace and new mercy to start over every morning and DOESN’T show my every little mistake to the world. I am challenged to be faithful in the little things that DO count for eternity.

It’s a slow fade, when you give yourself away.

It’s a slow fade, when black and white are turned to grey.

Thoughts invade, choices are made, a price will be paid when you give yourself away.

People never crumble in a day, it’s a slow fade.”

-Slow Fade

Casting Crowns

1 comment:

  1. I've been faced with this a few times. Usually when I buy plants at Wal-mart. I always pick out my plant and then pick out the pot and to save room I always put the plant in the pot. Every time I go to the check out they always miss the plant and I have to tell them they need to ring it through. They are always shocked at my honesty and say 'wow, most people wouldn't say anything'. It would bug me to no end if I never paid for something.

    ReplyDelete