Friday, April 2, 2010

The Movie Screen in Daniel’s Head

Just once, I’d like to climb inside my youngest son, Daniel’s, head.  He must see some pretty funny things on the movie screen in there.

When he was three, he told me he learned a new song at Sonseekers, Wendy taught him. Really, I asked him?  What was it?  He sang for me, “I’ve got peas in the river, I’ve got peas in the river, I’ve got peas in the river in my soul.” I tried so hard not to laugh at him.  I asked if there were carrots in the river. No, he told me very seriously, just peas. OK, then.

One day were driving down the road listening to the radio when Chris Tomlin’s song, “We Fall Down” came on.  Daniel began laughing hysterically. “What’s so funny?” I asked.  “Who fell down? Why they fall down?” he said.  I tried to explain the song, that falling down meant bowing down to adore Jesus.  That made him laugh even harder. “Jesus fall down!?”  Now I can’t sing that song anymore without a bizarre mental picture of saints in heaven tripping over their long robes.

A few years ago we had a trampoline. Daniel wanted to go jump on it, early in the morning. I told him he had to wait because there was dew on it. He peered out the window and said, “There’s a DUDE on my trampoline!?”

Just the other day we were talking about compound words in school. He was doing a good job and mentioned the words lunchbox, mailbox, flagpole, etc.  It was quiet for awhile and then he goes, “I know! Bad Mitten!”  I started laughing and tried to explain how “badminton” was spelled.  How exactly does a bad mitten look to Daniel and what in the world does it have to do with the game?

Yesterday we were reading Peter Rabbit. Afterwards we were talking about some of the unfamiliar words in the story like thief, sieve, fortnight and mischief. I was asking him to give me his best guess on what they were and then we were going to look them up in the dictionary.  When we got to “mischief” he thought for awhile and said, “Oh I know! It’s like peanut butter!” Huh?  I tried to imagine what he must of thought of the story when Peter Rabbit’s mother said, “Don’t get into any mischief!”  Last night just as I was falling asleep, I realized “Mischief” sounds like “JIF”, the kind of peanut butter we use! So, it wasn’t so random after all.  Still, I wonder why Peter Rabbit didn’t find any peanut butter in Mr. MacGregor’s garden?

Daniel in snow-4

No comments:

Post a Comment