Saturday, January 9, 2010

A Missouri Girl’s Guide to Minnesota Winters

I grew up in Kansas City, MO.  Although Kansas City is experiencing some of the coldest, snowiest weather in nearly 20 years this winter, this is not the norm. Missouri tends to have periods of cold and sometimes ice, followed by pretty mild temperatures.  It is normal to experience 60 degrees once in awhile mid-winter.  And spring comes early in Missouri.

For 14 of my 15 married years I have lived in Minnesota.  I’m afraid my blood is permanently thinned and I am perpetually cold.  Several years ago I decided I could whine and pine away during our 8 long months of winter, or I could embrace the winters and learn to adapt. Hence, a Missouri girl’s guide to Minnesota Winters:

The first rule if you come North from points south is to STAY WARM! I’ve gotten better and better at this through the years.  I will admit that to stay warm requires an outlay of cash, but it is well worth it.  Good long underwear is a must.  For many years I relied on Cuddleduds.  Recently, though, I have upgraded my long undies and am reaping the rewards.  I highly recommend Patagonia merino wool long underwear. Buy the top that zips up into a turtleneck. It’s actually quite stylish and looks good as a base layer under a sweater or coat. You can find these at SkiHut.  They will run you about $100 for a set, but you won’t be sorry. 

Another important part of staying warm is warm feet!  The only way I’ve found to keep my feet warm is SmartWool socks.  I swear by them. They will run you about $20 a pair, but again, well worth the investment.  I like the ones that come all the way up to your knees. And SmartWool  comes in all kinds of cute colors, stripes, argyles, etc.  They also have some great PhD, padded skiing socks, if you enjoy that sport.  On a trip to Ely several years ago, Nathan and I visited the Steger Mukluk store and both bought a pair of knee high, moose hide mukluks. Wow! I’ve never had such warm feet. You can stand outside in –20 temps and the rest of you may be freezing cold, but your toes will be toasty warm in mukluks.  No substitutes here will suffice; you’ve got to get the Steger Mukluks.  And yeah, they’re pricey.  But, if you’re on a winter getaway to Ely, you just might get lucky like we did and find them for 50% off. I love a good deal!  I also have a pair of shearling lined Uggs and a pair of shearling lined clogs for everyday and more stylish wear.

I highly recommend a warm jacket, either 600-800 fill down or a 3-in-one Columbia jacket. And BTW, if anything on a Columbia jacket breaks from normal use, you can send it in and Columbia will fix it/replace the jacket free of charge. Send your clean jacket to:                     

Columbia Sportswear                             

Attn: Warranty Department                     

7000 North Leadbetter Road 456 Albert Street

Portland, Oregon 97203

I’ve had Columbia replace many a zipper for us over the years. I strongly also recommend good mittens. Mittens are just warmer than gloves. My mom found me an awesome pair of Obermeyer mittens at TJ Maxx last year. Usually these would retail at $60+, but she got them for $15. Of course, if you are my husband, you will just make yourself a pair of bear hide mittens, modeled here by my friend, Lindsey, which work well too:

Christmas-29-1  I prefer regular mittens though, as big, hairy things on my hands is just plain weird, but if you are strictly seeking warmth, bear hide is the way to go!

I have a tendency to get Vitamin D deficient in the winter too, and like I mentioned, just plain cold, so I seek out fake sun in the long Minnesota winters. Scold all you want, but try living here for 14 years and walk a mile in my mukluks before you judge me. I tan in a tanning booth for about 15 minutes once a week or so. I in no way endorse fake baking to excess, but my motto has always been, “Moderation in everything.” I also admit, I do love my hot tub on a cold, snowy day, which helps my sore muscles made more stiff by fibromyalgia.

The main thing that makes living up North more bearable is to learn to embrace winter! Yes, there are times to curl up next to your space heater with a good book and a cup of coffee or Earl Grey, but for the most part, you’ve got to learn some winter sports and get out there and have some fun!  Since moving to Minnesota I’ve learned to snow shoe, cross country ski and downhill ski.  It’s pretty much the only way to stay sane, in shape and warm outside in the winter months here.  I’ve even learned to look forward to the snow as it makes those ski slopes ready for winter fun!

If you’re lucky enough to live south of the Mason-Dixon line, thank the Good Lord above, but if like me, you are one of the Frozen Chosen, well, stay warm and go play in the snow!

Christmas-06-1

No comments:

Post a Comment