Thursday, December 10, 2009

They Just Don’t Make ‘Em Like They Used To

 

I decided to make spritz cookies the other day. I made my yummy butter cookie dough and got out my trusty spritz cookie maker. Or as it turned out, my not-so-trusty spritz cookie maker. I bought this cookie maker a few years ago at Kmart. It’s just your average 21st Century spritz cookie maker. It’s plastic, and that’s the problem. I got four tree cookies pressed out when I felt resistance. I squeezed the trigger and SNAP! The trigger just completely broke off in my hand. What in the world!?  There was nothing I could do at that point, it was completely broken.  I just had to toss the dumb thing in the trash. However, I had an entire mixing bowl of cookie dough. So, I called my friend, Wendy, to see if she had a spritz cookie maker.  She said she did, but she said it was kinda different.  Kinda different, how, I asked? She said it had been her mom’s. Wow!  Your mom’s, I asked? That means it must be at least 40 years old, because I knew her mom had passed away awhile ago.  I told her I could handle different, I just needed to get my cookies done.  I went to get the cookie press and this is what I got:

Peanuts-2

Amazing! That is one heavy duty cookie press!  No wonder this thing had been around for 40 or 50 years.  It is made of metal, tin I think.  The barrel holds twice as much as mine and you crank the cookies out.  I had fun using this one.  Trust me, there is NO way this thing would ever break.  The Christmas trees were also a little prettier than mine. 

I was also amused by a camel cookie shape:

Peanuts-3

I almost wanted to make another batch of dough just to see what the camels would look like.  I was kinda hoping for a wiseman cookie to go with it. But, the only other “living” creature cookie available was a dog. A dog?  Very odd:

Peanuts-4

Maybe I’m missing something. Is this Rudolph? Or is it a Christmas dog? Or were dogs just popular in the 60’s?  Don’t know, but it kinda cracked me up.

Anyhow, I am now searching on eBay for an antique cookie press. No more plastic junk for me.  They just don’t make stuff like they used to!

No comments:

Post a Comment