Monday, December 21, 2009

Imponderables

There’s a lot of random thoughts that wander through my brain and make me wonder, why?

- After watching The Princess Bride probably more than 200 times in the last 20 years, I just recently realized it was never explained where Prince Humperdinck met Buttercup. He chose her as his bride, but he was a prince and she was a farm girl. Where the heck did they meet to begin with????

- I recently read a book where the heroine had some stressful circumstances and when she got to her home she fell into an exhausted sleep and when she awoke she was confused about what time it was. Her sister told her she had slept around the clock for 20 hours without waking. I was like, 20 hours!!!! Who sleeps 20 hours without peeing? I was totally distracted by this thought. I mean, I’ve never gone 20 hours, even in sleep, without having to use the bathroom. Bizarre.

- After having three kids I’m still confused as to how a woman’s stomach (namely, mine) can go from the size of a submarine back to (relatively) flat. At least I fit back into my old jeans. Why is skin so stretchy? And how does it stretch out like that and then where does it go when it gets all flat again? And how does it do that over and over? Oh yeah, that must be where those stretch marks came from! And although I was there, I still don’t know how in the world that baby got out of there!

- Why is ice fishing considered fun?

- Why do people in Minnesota pay good money to go to things like Lutefisk Dinners and Fish Boils? What is a Fish Boil, by the way? It sounds like a disease.

- Why do I like quilting since it involves so much math and so much ironing?

- Why don’t skinny jeans make you look skinny?

- Why do accompaniment CD’s with one song cost as much as a regular CD?

- Who goes first at a 5-way stop?

- Why in heaven’s name did SuperOne move their Super Pretzels to the the frozen section with fish sticks? Why not with the snack foods or the frozen dough? Does anyone else see the connection between frozen pretzels and fish?

- Why does Heinz call their ketchup “Tomato Ketchup?” Have you ever eaten any other kind of ketchup? Like, Green Bean Ketchup or Zucchini Ketchup or Carrot Ketchup.

- Why do some people call crayons “coloring crayons.” Duh, what else do you do with them? They’re either crayons or colors, aren’t they?

- What exactly does “uff-dah” and “ish-dah” mean?

- Why in the world does my mother think “Hunca Munca” is a great exclamation!?

I’m sure I could go on and on. My brain seems to be filled with fluff. But, the one that I really don’t understand is this:

- Why did God become a man? How can Jesus be both God and man? Why would He choose to love me, come to Earth as a baby and suffer and die in my place when I deserved the punishment He took on Himself?

I really don’t understand that one, but I am forever grateful that He did.

1 comment:

  1. I am pretty sure that "uff-dah" means "whoa! that was REALLY heavy!" and "ish-dah" means "Whoa! That is REALLY nasty!" ...I use both of these phrases a lot!

    ReplyDelete