Saturday, January 15, 2011

Through the Garden Gate – January

I love my garden. My mom often wonders aloud where I got my green thumb as she never gardened, but my aunt has always had a big garden and I remember loving to wander in her garden as a kid, so maybe it’s a latent Turner gene. Or perhaps it’s because we moved frequently when I was a child and I want a little piece of earth to dig up and call my own. Even as an adult I’ve moved several times, but you can always replant no matter where you go and see results pretty quickly. Now that we’ve put down some roots here in Duluth, nearly half my yard is taken over by my perennial gardens and a big vegetable garden, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. This is something Nathan and I love to do together during our oh-so-brief summers.

It’s only January and already I’ve gotten two seed catalogs in the mail. Oh the agony! I have visions of new roses for my garden and oh, I could put those cool primroses just right there! Alas, planting is at least 5 months away. But, there is the promise of spring, and I can dream.

Winter has a beauty all it’s own too as I look through my garden gate. In the last two days we’ve gotten about a foot and a half of fluffy new snow. It’s buried my garden and nearly my lilac bush and etched each branch on the trees and log on my garden fence in pristine white. It looks like a fairy world outside right now.

garden-1

The freshly fallen snow, unmarred by footprints, or dirt yet, reminds me of some promises. Promises that though I am still imperfect and often a complete mess, God is making me whole.

“’Come now, and let us reason together,’ Says the Lord, ‘Though your sins are as scarlet, They will be as white as snow; Though they are red like crimson, They will be like wool.’”

Isaiah 1:18

“Surely I was sinful at birth, sinful from the time my mother conceived me.  Surely you desire truth in the inner parts; you teach me wisdom in the inmost place. Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow.” Psalm 51:5-7


There is no doubt in my mind that I sin. I mess up and make mistakes every single day. I am so un-perfect. Yet, God is willing to forgive me time and time again and through His grace and mercy make me clean. That is what I think of when I see the freshly fallen snow. A fresh start. A new day. A chance to do it right today.

"There’s a better version of me, that I can’t quite see, but things are gonna change.

Right now I’m a total mess and right now I’m completely incomplete, but things are gonna change.

Cause You’re not through with me yet.

Wish I could live more patiently, wish I could give a little more of me, but I’m stopping to think twice.

Wish I had faith like a little child, wish I could walk a singe mile, without stepping on own feet.

But, You’re not through with me yet.

And this is redemption’s story, with every step that I’m taking.

Every day You’re chippin’ away what I don’t need.

And this is me under construction.

This is my pride being broken.

And every day I’m closer to who I’m meant to be.

I’m a change in the making.

Like a river rolls into the sea, I’m not who I’m gonna to be, but things are gonna change.

Moving closer, to Your glory.”

Change in the Making, by Addison Road

No comments:

Post a Comment