Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Why I’m going to Mexico

“This might hurt, it’s not safe, but I know that I’ve gotta make a change.  I don’t care if I break, at least I’ll be feeling something. Cause just OK is not enough, help me fight through the nothingness of this life.

I don’t wanna go through the motions.

I don’t wanna go one more day.

Without Your all consuming passion inside of me.

I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking,

What if I had given everything

Instead of going through the motions?

No regrets, not this time, I’m gonna let my heart defeat my mind. Let Your love make me whole I think I’m finally feeling something. Cause just OK is not enough, help me fight through the nothingness of this life.

I don’t wanna go through the motions.

I don’t wanna go one more day.

Without Your all consuming passion inside of me.

I don’t wanna spend my whole life asking,

What if I had given everything

Instead of going through the motions?”

The Motions – Matthew West

Our decision to go to Torreon, Mexico on our annual missions trip this year has been met with mixed reactions.  Some people are very encouraging and praying for us, while others have been vehemently against this trip.  I’m not here to argue with anyone or cast judgments on anyone else’s decision.  I would simply like to state the reason why I, personally, have decided to go to Mexico, despite the violence, whether it’s real or over-reported.

Yes, I’m aware of the violence, but is it wrong to go into a country, be it Mexico, or any country, Afghanistan, Indonesia, etc. to spread the Gospel of Jesus Christ, with the knowledge that you may lose your possessions, personal safety or even your life for doing so?  According to the Bible, to the words of Jesus Christ, NO! Of course, that’s not a wrong thing to do, in fact quite the opposite.

“The man who loves his life will lose it, while the man who hates his life in this world will keep it for eternal life.  Whoever serves me must follow me; and where I am, my servant also will be. My Father will honor the one who serves me.“ John 12:25, 26

 For whoever wants to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for me will save it.  What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, and yet lose or forfeit his very self?” Luke 9:24,25

I also know that my days are in God’s hand.  When it’s time for me to go home to heaven, nothing can keep me here.  And if He wants me here on earth, nothing man can do to me can change God’s purposes for me.  My hope is God alone. I don’t cling to a false sense of security, that by staying “safely” in the US, I will stay more alive than by going to a “violent” country.  I think Nathan’s accident taught us that.  When God says your time is up, your time is up. And if God chooses to spare your life, nothing, not an 800 lb tree, or a Mexican gun, can take you out of this world.

“Since his days are determined,The number of his months is with Thee, And his limits Thou hast set so that he cannot pass.” Job 14:5

 “Thine eyes have seen my unformed substance; And in Thy book they were all written, The days that were ordained for me, When as yet there was not one of them.” Psalm 139:16

We have brothers and sisters in Christ in our sister church in Torreon, Mexico who live with this situation every day and I would like to stand with them in their proclamation of the Gospel, to encourage them in their daily lives, to let them know they are not alone in their struggles.

“Let us hold fast the confession of our hope without wavering, for He who promised is faithful; and let us consider how to stimulate one another to love and good deeds, not forsaking our own assembling together, as is the habit of some, but encouraging one another; and all the more, as you see the day drawing near.” Heb. 10:23-25

In addition to all of this, there is peace.  I have prayed about this, sought the Lord daily in the weeks and months leading up to this trip, and the sense of peace from the Holy Spirit only gets stronger.  We know, as believers, that when we think as the world thinks, we can be so anxious about circumstances that seem scary and out of control, but when we think with an eternal perspective, with the eyes of faith and the mind of Christ, we have the peace of Christ, a peace that passes all understanding.

”Peace I leave with you; My peace I give to you; not as the world gives, do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, nor let it be fearful.” John 14:27

Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all comprehension, shall guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.” Phil. 4:6, 7

I’m ready. I want to go, I want to share the Gospel of Christ. I’m ready to live, I’m ready to die, I’m ready to serve.  As my friend Ron Sjoblom says, “If you’re ready to die, then you’re ready to live!”  I don’t want to play it safe in my comfortable American life.

“I see a world in need out on the wire
I'll take a leap of faith into the fire
I'm going over the edge now
Yeah I'm ready to reach out

I wanna be Dangerous
Unashamed to proclaim your name
I wanna be Dangerous                                                                        I can't hide or deny what's inside
I wanna be Dangerous

So many times I fail to even try
I compromise my faith by standing by
I'm going over the edge now
Yeah I'm ready to reach out

I wanna be Dangerous
Unashamed to proclaim your name
I wanna be Dangerous
I can't hide or deny what's inside
I wanna be Dangerous

My mind is made up and I'm ready
I'm goin over the edge
I'm steppin out on the wire”

Dangerous - DecembeRadio

No comments:

Post a Comment