Friday, November 12, 2010

Just Sayin’

I’ve noticed a new trend lately regarding words coming out of people’s mouths. Apparently it’s ok to trash someone or say whatever you feel like, even if it’s rude, inappropriate or hurtful as long as you follow it with the words, “Just sayin’.”

How do those two little words absolve the speaker of responsibility for their words? I’m wondering. I’ve heard it until I’m sick of it. On the radio, on the TV, in my church, aimed at me personally. Is this the Northern equivalent of the Southern “Bless her heart?”  Somehow these two meaningless words, “Just sayin’” have come to mean, “Hey, don’t hold me personally responsible for the junk spewing out of my mouth. I’m just saying what’s on my mind. It’s my right to speak my mind!”

There is a better way.  A way that, yes, requires some, GASP!, self-control, but also a way that preserves friendships and the dignity and preciousness of others.

“Let no unwholesome word proceed from your mouth, but only such a word as is good for edification according to the need of the moment, that it may give grace to those who hear.” Ephesians 4:29

When I was a teenager I got really mad at my sister one time and I yelled, “Shut up!” at her. Unfortunately, my mom heard me. She made me sit down and write this verse 100 times!!! Let’s just say it’s stuck in my head since that day.  Hateful words followed by, “just sayin’”, do not give grace to the hearer.

James had quite a bit to say about the tongue. In chapter 3, verses 8-10, he writes to Christians thus,

“But no one can tame the tongue; it is a restless evil and full of deadly poison. With it we bless our Lord and Father; and with it we curse men, who have been made in the likeness of God; from the same mouth come both blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not to be this way.”

Those of us who claim Christ-likeness ought to speak words that are gracious and life-giving. We ought to build others up. We should seek to praise and encourage one another, not tear down. We need to stop gossip in its tracks.

In the words of Thumper from the movie "Bambi”, “If you don’t have nothin’ nice to say, don’t say nothin’ at all.”

Just sayin’

No comments:

Post a Comment