Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Cool Inventions

Admittedly, our grandparents saw some of the most amazing inventions ever created. Just think: the airplane, television, the computer, all the many technological advantages that you and I take for granted everyday. But, there have been some pretty cool inventions in my short lifetime as well. This discussion got started the other day between Laura and I over blond bobby pins. So, without further ado, Molly’s List of Cool Inventions in the last 37 years.

1. Blond Bobby Pins: if you are a brunette, you will not get this one, but if you are a blond, you will find this one oh-so-helpful. Blond bobby pins have just recently been invented, like in the last 5  years or so, but are very helpful for those of us with blonde hair! And right up there are blond (and red!), hair ties and head bands!

2. Spandex in Jeans: Seriously, a woman’s best friend.

3. Starbucks: ‘nuff said.

4. Mini-vans: You may have been like me and vowed never to drive one, yet find yourself loving the fact that on a 20-hour road trip you can space 3 children far apart from one another so they can’t touch each other. Oh the bliss!

5. DVD players in vans: Again, 20-hour road trips will never be the same. I’m sure our parents are thinking that we are not getting what we deserve, as they had to put up with us, and we should get the same treatment from our kids. “I’m bored! She touched me! Are we there yet!?” And yet, we just stick a movie in and put headphones on our, separated by captain’s chairs, children.

6. Pixar: Can you remember a time without Pixar!? Can you imagine life without “Nemo”, “Cars”, “Toy Story”, “Wall-E”, etc!? Oh, the horror!

7. iPods: In my life I’ve gone from scratchy records to carrying around 2,000 songs on a device the size of a flash drive. Truly amazing.

8. Google: I can’t even remember how I did research before Google. How did my mom answer all my annoying questions when I was little before Google!? Nearly every dinner time around here consists of at least one random, unknown question. “Hey mom, what do you think was the largest earthquake ever?” “Who do you think won the World Series in 1947?” “Do slugs have ears?” And my response is always, “Let me Google it!” And on that note, when did “Google” become a verb anyway? I’ll have to Google that tonight.

9. Spell-check: My kids don’t even know how to use a dictionary anymore! Just spell-check it!

10. Microwaves: I know this one is pretty old, but I didn’t have a microwave when I was little. I remember when we got our first microwave; an enormous Tappan from my Grandma who worked for Tappan. How did we reheat leftovers? I don’t remember.

11. Cell-phones: Granted, their ubiquitousness annoys me at times, but they are also very useful. Some of my 20-something friends are often surprised when I tell them, “No, Nathan and I didn’t talk on cell phones when we were dating, they didn't exist then!” I love watching “old” movies from the early 90’s with their enormous car phones!

12. Target: How did I live without Target!? I love Target.

That’s my list for now. I’m sure I can think of more, and I’m sure you’ve got a few too! It’s silly, but I’m pretty glad for some of these cool things that make my life easier and more fun! Now I have to go spell-check my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment